Stellenbosch University (SU) will again award a record number of degrees at its December 2018 graduation ceremonies – 5769 compared to 5720 in December 2017 and 5300 in 2016. There is also an increase in the number of doctorates 149 and master’s degrees 546.
Eight ceremonies are to be held in the Coetzenberg Centre in Stellenbosch from Monday 10 to Friday 14 December 2018.
Four honorary doctorates will also be awarded: to Prof Homi K. Bhabha, the world’s foremost postcolonial literary theorist from Harvard in the USA; Prof Dame Glynis Breakwell, the former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bath whose contribution to social psychology is globally significant; Mr Lesetja Kganyogo, the President of the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) and Chair of the International Monetary and Financial Committee; and, Justice Zak Yacoob, an outstanding South African jurist in the field of human rights and constitutional law.
Bhabha will receive the degree Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil), honoris causa, Breakwell the degree Doctor of Philosophy, (DPhil), honoris causa (both on Thu 13 Dec at 17:30; Kganyago the degree Doctor of Commerce (DCom), honoris causa (Mon 10 Dec at 17:30), and Yacoob the degree Doctor of Laws (LLD), honoris causa (Thu 13 Dec at 10:00).
SU awards honorary degrees to recognise and reward excellence in a variety of fields and to identify these individuals as role models for the University community.
Nelson Mandela, Thabo Mbeki, Bill Gates, Antjie Krog, Helen Suzman, Athol Fugard, Tito Mboweni, Naledi Pandor, David Kramer, Thuli Madonsela, Edwin Cameron and Mervyn King are among the recipients of SU honorary degrees.
The schedule of the December graduation ceremonies are as follow:
- Monday 10 December at 17:30: Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences (for a B group).
- Tuesday 11 December at 10:00: Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences and at 17:30: Faculty of Science.
- Wednesday 12 December at 10:00: Faculties of Education and Military Science and at 17:30: Economic and Management Sciences (for an A group).
- Thursday 13 December at 10:00: Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences (ONLY Drama, Music and Visual Arts); AgriSciences en Law (excluding BA Law, BCom Law and BAccLLB) and at 17:30: Faculty of Arts and Social Science (Including BA Law but excluding Drama, Music and Visual Art).
- Friday 14 December om 10:00: Faculties of Theology and Engineering.
The university also gives recognition to some of its foremost academics and other staff members throughout the graduation ceremonies.